Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Letter to Capt. Thomas from a community member

December 26, 2009

Captain Thomas,
I just wanted to write to you and tell you how wonderful the two recruits were we hosted for Operation Fireside on Christmas Day. The recruits assigned to us were Alan from San Diego and Jacob from southern Alabama. They were perfect gentlemen and are a credit to your unit. They were very respectful and a joy to have in our home.

These recruits were so grateful for the opportunity to join us for the Holiday. You should be proud of them. These gentlemen demonstrate the impact that good training and discipline can have on people. Keep up the great work in training recruits to serve our country.

We are honored to host recruits during the Holiday Seasons. We just wanted to write and tell you what a great job you and your staff are doing in training young people to be responsible citizens. If you have an opportunity please communicate this to the officers in your command.

Respectfully,

Robert Addesso

2 comments:

Robinsnest said...

Captain Thomas,
as a parent of one of the recruits who was blessed enough to participate in this event I would like to pass my most sincere thanks to your staff, the organizers of operation fireside 2008, and most especially the folks in the Cape May community who opened their homes to become extended families to these young adults. We received a call on Christmas day from our recruit and passed the phone between many excited relatives for a half hour at least. When I asked who took them in all I could understand was that a retired Navy man and his wife had picked up my recruit and another in a long line of cars that were standing by to whisk them away for a few hours. After some prodding I learned was that their host was a retired Senior Chief who served most of his time in the Sea Bees. My recruit was too embarrassed to dig into this any further but I have a renewed faith in the goodwill of others from the example these fine folks in Cape May have set. I know this situation was repeated many times that day and that I am not alone in wanting to say thank you to all of those who took part in this heartfelt event. Please pass on the appreciation this grateful father has for raising the morale of our service personnel and that of those they are away from as well.

Thanks again,
CGDad

mammasmith said...

I can't thank you enough for building my son, Sean, into a more confident young man. He is on could nine!!!!! It was so special to hear from him last Saturday. I know Whiskey 180 has had it's ups and downs, yet I feel sure all are elated to be apart of the United States Coast guard. The parents are as well!!! I'm so glad to be able to see pictures and journal entries weekly. They certainly eased not only my anxiety but the other families and the recruits. I would love, if at all possible to see a picture of the fine young man, (Sean), who plays Taps at night to close the day for all. Go Coast Guard!!!!!!!!!!!!