Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What an amazing event!

Victor Company returned from Washington D.C., this morning at 2 a.m. I understand that in addition to marching in the parade, they also got to see the Pentagon and visit the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery. I spoke with them before they left; interestingly, over half had never been to the Nation's Capital before. Having marched in the 1981 Inaugural Parade, I knew it was going to be cold... and they told me it was! Nevertheless, they made me so very proud representing both Training Center Cape May and the active duty component of the Coast Guard. It was a historic day yesterday in so many ways, and I'm honored to have been able to share the opportunity with so many of our future leaders.

Victor was up and about early this morning and attended colors at 8 a.m.; this is part of my daily routine where I observe the rising of the National Ensign in conjunction with the Star Spangled Banner. I was happy to see them back and although they maintained their military bearing, I could see the joy in their eyes.

This was their first operational mission in the Coast Guard, and I am pleased to report that they completed it with exceptional professionalism and pride.

V/R
Capt. Cari Thomas

10 comments:

Leslie said...

Definately something for them and their loved ones to be proud of! Congratulations Victor 180!

mariposa said...

Congratulations V-180 i have the whole parade recorded you guys looked great! one more week to go!

Anonymous said...

I was so proud and so excited for V180! You guys looked beautiful!!! I was so honored. I had to work that day, no matter what i couldnt miss v180 march for my life! It was an emotional experience of a lifetime for me to share that feeling, that momoment with my significant other. Keep up the excellent work! Cant wait for graduation next week!!!

Anonymous said...

We are so proud of V-180. Can't wait to see you KWP at Graduation next week!

Michael said...

V-180 looked great! Congratulations Captain Thomas for doing such a fine job preparing these young men and women.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much Capt. Thomas for allowing V-180 this wonderful opportunity. We feel even more proud of V-180!!! I recorded this event and will share it with our Coastie when he comes home.
Dale, (dad of a Coastie)

Jane M said...

Although my SR is in X-180, I am filled with pride and joy for Victor-180. The future of our country is obviously in extraordinary hands! Congratulations!

Karen McCabe said...

EXCELLENT JOB....... V-180 and Capt. Thomas ....All of you were so awesome ...Congratulations! !
Coastie Gramma

dsjne said...

youtube.com has a great video of our Coasties marching in the inauguration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Pb-x5Ihys

Awesome job! Looking forward to January 29th!

Richmond Hill Real Estate said...

Congratulations to all of the members of V-180. You make all of us proud!